Madison Soap Company is so proud to produce soap made with Rainforest Alliance Certified™ Palm Oil. At our founding in 2014, after doing extensive research on the most stable, moisturizing, conditioning and environmentally friendly recipe I could find, I decided to stay a palm-free soap. I saw that many companies were using RSPO (Roundtable on Sustainable Palm Oil) in their soaps, but when I did more digging, I found that to achieve this certification, all distributors had to do is give an intention to produce more sustainably. This just wasn't good enough.
Then, in 2017, I found the Rainforest Alliance. The Rainforest Alliance sealcertifies on outcomes instead of intention. Their seal guarantees:
- Biodiversity conservation
- Improved livelihoods and human well-being
- Natural resource conservation
- Effective planning and farm management systems
Saving the critically endangered species on the edge of extinction due to the production of palm oil is important to this organization. However, on the ground, the solution is more complex. If you want the farmers to stop destroying habitats, there must be quality training on how exactly to do that. This is one of the things the Rainforest Alliance provides.
When it comes to protecting our forests, the Rainforest Alliance is one of the founding members of the Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®), the largest sustainable forestry standard setter in the world. Products that bear the FSC mark and the Rainforest Alliance Certified seal are sourced from forests that:
- Protect endangered species and forest areas of high conservation value
- Set aside a portion of land as forest reserve
- Provide workers with decent wages and protect their ability to organize
- Follow FSC guidelines that determine how, when, and where timber and non-timber forest products are harvested
- Respect the rights of local communities and indigenous people
After learning that we could support the efforts of the Rainforest Alliance in preserving critically endangered species and supporting farmers, I just couldn't sit this one out. Ignoring or bypassing the problem was not going to make it go away. I altered my recipe to include Rainforest Alliance Certified™ Palm Oil as our first ingredient. Being part of the movement to demand accountability from Palm Oil suppliers and publicizing this solution is my small way of making a difference in this world. After all, we are the ones we've been waiting for. These are our forests and this is our home.